Daz Canvases vs Full Render: Shouldn't they have different quality?

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
I figured rendering the whole scene for 7200 seconds and then rendering only the character using Canvases for 7200 and then merging together with photoshop would result in a higher quality character render but there seems to be no difference.
PostWalk 19 - Enviro 7200.png PostWalk 19 - Kate Base 7200.png
Both of these images have the same render time but the character looks the same quality. I figured spending the whole render time on just the character would result in her looking less grainy.
Suggestions?
Thanks for any help to this noob. :)

• Haha
Reactions: i cookie.you

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Unfortunately canvases are not for that. The rest of the furniture in your image is still there to affect lights and their behavior, it's just that they are not rendered. But the light treatment remains the same in both cases so you only get the character with the exact same treatment, and therefore, grainy... You need more iterations or use Denoiser.

Reactions: Jumbi

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
If you want less grain, better lighting and longer render times are what you should seek. Canvases, and more specifically beauty ones, won't help you in that regard.

youbet567

Jun 21, 2023
Canvases are 32 bit so you get better colors and depth than the usual more "flat" 8 bit renders
but Canvases cant save poor lighting.
work more on lighting then if you want to use canvases you also need to add all light sources (light group)
you can then control each lightsource in PS

i use canvases alot but then i also work with HDR10 renders so i must use it.
exposure on the lightsources sets the "Nits" levels in the HDR10 renders

Midzay

Oct 20, 2021
I figured rendering the whole scene for 7200 seconds and then rendering only the character using Canvases for 7200 and then merging together with photoshop would result in a higher quality character render but there seems to be no difference.
View attachment 4044066 View attachment 4044067
Both of these images have the same render time but the character looks the same quality. I figured spending the whole render time on just the character would result in her looking less grainy.
Suggestions?
I'm surprised at your result. I did my renderings with the processor and only did 300-500 iterations for the whole image. If I was not satisfied with the quality of some part of the image, I would select that bad part and render only for it (this is not Canva, but fragment rendering). This part of the rendering became better, because all iterations were spent only on it. Next is a simple overlap in Photoshop.

Mar 16, 2018
View attachment 4044066 View attachment 4044067
Suggestions?
Canvas also draws the whole scene and then it cuts out a template. To draw the figure faster, it should be done in groups. One group hidden, one visible. But then there is the problem with shadows and occlusions and so on. One way to do things faster is a plugin I'm currently working on that draws the figures individually and combines the layers together. More and